Prime Roots is looking for an Executive Chef to join our R&D and commercialization team to help us develop recipes, scale and test them, and elevate the plant-based experience and contribute to our mission of making a more sustainable food system.
At Prime Roots, we envision a delicious protein-rich future that is sustainable for environmental and human health.
- Create new recipes and innovate to make plant based versions of meat products and dishes.
- Prepare and style meals in different manners for promotional materials.
- Work on product development of ingredient components.
- Scale recipes to larger pilot scale and oversee the transition and production.
- Assist in management of kitchen and direct other team members in production of products.
- Maintaining food safety and quality control and quality assurance of products.
- Design and develop methods of soliciting testing and feedback.
- Managing costs and understanding costs of products from bench to scale.
- Work with arsenal of culinary and food science techniques and ingredients to create products and dishes.
- Dreaming up and creating menus and testing menus with consumers and clients.
- Calculate nutritional profiles and tune recipes to meet nutritional targets.
- Culinary or food related degree preferred (Food Science, Culinary Arts, etc.).
- At least 5+ years experience working in a commercial/production kitchen or other professional cooking or food environment.
- Past experience in scaling products from bench or test kitchen to pilot scale (preferably in packaged goods but large scale catering operations or food service is good too).
- Able to work independently and on teams in a clean and organized manner.
- Prior recipe development and scaling experience.
- Understanding of functional food ingredients and large culinary toolkit.
- Understanding of nutritional guidelines and food labelling and industry trends.
- Food styling and/or presentation experience.
- ServSafe or food handling certification required, Food Manager certification preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and note taking.
- Willing, desire, and able to receive feedback and build upon suggestions and implement changes and iterate.
- Must be able to taste and provide thorough feedback on every meal and ingredient sample test in the kitchen.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and constantly be on feet moving and perform physical movement.
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing innovative food startup.
- Competitive compensation and equity.
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities.
- Collaborative working environment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance.
- FSA, HSA, and Commuter Benefits Accounts.
Prime Roots is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusiveness. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.